In the early 1900’s the Holy Spirit called and gathered settlers to establish two Lutheran churches (St. Paul’s, Wescott and St. John’s, Didsbury) to proclaim the Gospel through Word and Sacrament and to love their neighbours. In 1945 these congregations merged to form Redeemer Lutheran Church and in 1980 we built our current facility in which we worship and equip Christians to bear witness to Christ and to serve their neighbours.
Our faith and life as a part of the body of Christ continues to be grounded on the inspired and inerrant Word of God and the pure proclamation of the Gospel which declares that salvation is by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone. In response to this gift of salvation, the Holy Spirit sends our members out into the world to bear witness to Christ and to share His mercy with their neighbours.
What follows are some highlights from our history:
- December 1, 1907 – St. Paul’s Lutheran Church of Wescott was organized.
- 1915 – Worship services began in Didsbury
- December 21, 1927 – St. John’s Lutheran Church, Didsbury was formed.
- November 29, 1945 – St. Paul’s and St. John’s merged to form Redeemer Lutheran Church, Didsbury.
- 1947-1961 – Pastor E.B. Fox
- October 31, 1948 – The first Redeemer Lutheran Church facility was dedicated.
- 1961-1968 – Pastor Clifford Guebert
- 1968-1972 – Pastor Ray Matejka
- 1972-1985 – Pastor Larry Lentz
- June 15, 1980 – The current 12,000 square foot facility was dedicated
- December, 1980 – The first Live Nativity
- 1986-1988 – Pastor Wilson Porat
- 1989-1994 – Pastor Eric Betsch
- 1995-2015 – Pastor Rob Mohns
- 1996 – The first Passion Play
- 2007 – Sundaes in the Park began
- 2008 – RLC became the mother church for the Airdrie mission
- 2015 – 70th Anniversary
- 2020 – Pastor Tim Graff began